Battle of the Books
What is Battle of the Books?
- A, voluntary, national reading incentive program for students in grades 3-8
- The purpose:
- encourage students to read good literature from different genres
- practice of good sportsmanship, the development of leadership skills
- and just plain FUN.
What Is The "Battle?"
- The "Battle" is a full day tournament or game in which students' teams earn points by answering questions about the books on the book list.
- The day begins with all participating local Catholic schools meeting in the OLA Auditorium, where they are given directions for the day.
- The participants are assigned to a team made up of students from participating schools, given a mascot, and sent to their first round of the "Battle." They play several rounds, each against a different team.
- At the end of the morning, points are totaled and the two teams with the most points are invited to a "Grand Battle" after lunch, with the other teams as their audience.
How does a student participate?
- Read from the book list
- Students may count books they have read before. However, they may not count books that they have only seen on a video or a movie.
- Books can be read
- By the student independently
- Orally to the student
- Listen to audiobook
When do the students read the books?
- The Battle will be held on April 13, 2019 from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at Our Lady of the Assumption School
- Students will have plenty of time to read the books during the school year
- Students must pass the AR quiz for each title they’ve read
What does it cost to participate?
- There is no cost for students to participate in the OLA B.O.B. Club. Depending on donations and sponsors, a small competition fee may be charged. This would cover the cost of the students medal and their competition t-shirt. If you or someone you know would like to sponsor the club, please contact Mrs. Corrales.
- A donation that can earn Service Hours would be happily accepted.
- The money would go toward prize incentives, t-shirts for our team, and books